Tuesday, January 22, 2008

First Year quilting



When I look back at the photos of the quilts I have made it is hard to remember in what order I made them. I did not keep a journal of my quilting progress which I am now sorry for and some of the first quilt photos were pre digital camera.


The first challenge quilt I made was a Launceston Patchworkers and Quilters Presidents Challenge 'Portrait of a Country'. I chose to do a wall hanging of the Waitomo Glow Worm Caves in New Zealand. It was one of the photos in a Readers Digest book of scenes, after contacting Readers Digest for appropriate permission I started on the wall hanging.


For the background I went through my dressmaking leftovers and found the black pieces they were satin, taffeta, gabardine, velvet and crinkle taffeta. These were cut into squares to make the background. I found a piece of silver and bronze lamé to make the roof of the cave and a few scraps of tan suede for rocks. From the lame and suede I cut pieces to represent the rocky roof of the cave, I then satin stitched them onto the black background stuffing the pieces as needed to enhance the rocky look of the ceiling. The next step was to baste the hanging, then I machine quilted it freehand to represent the darker rocks in the background. Once the binding was finished the next step was to reproduce the glow worms from the ceiling of the cave used a variety of silver threads, embroidery and machine, plus crystal seed beads. I was very pleased with the finished wall hanging.

No comments: