Friday, January 25, 2008

Christmas Blocks



At the Launceston Patchworkers and Quilters Christmas lunch December 2000 I was lucky enough to win one of the set of Christmas Blocks. Each year members of LPQ make a 8 1/2 " block with a Christmas theme to go in the draw. The committee divide them into sets of 9 and the blocks are displayed at the Christmas lunch. The names of the members who haven't won a set are put in a hat and then draw to see who are the lucky winners for that year. The winners are supposed have their quilt made to show at the lunch the following year. In January 2001 my mother was diagnosed with Motor Neurone disease and in March I gave up work to become her carer. Over the months I assembled the top and decided to hand quilt it. As time to quilt was limited I didn't get the quilting finished in time for the luncheon. I completed the quilting in December and January as I sat with my mum in the hospice. It is a very special quilt for me as my mum was able to see the quilt finished.

No comments: